MIB Uninsured and Untraced Driver-Related Claims

MIB Uninsured and Untraced Driver-Related Claims

Uninsured and Untraced Driver Claims

It is bad enough being injured in a non-fault accident, now to top it off, the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident is uninsured, or at worst cannot be found. At RU1NJURED you can be rest assured when you start your personal injury compensation claim, you are now working with an experienced team of road traffic accident injury Solicitors working on your side, to attain the compensation you deserve.

Uninsured and Untraced Driver Compensation Claims

What happens if you have the same type of accident and the other driver turns out to be uninsured? 

What happens if the other driver left the scene and is now untraceable, in other words, you are the victim of a hit and run.

Uninsured Drivers

A government organization called the Motor Insurers Bureau (M.I.B.) is an organization that awards compensation to individuals who have been involved in a road traffic accident with a driver who was not insured or fled the scene. 

This is a serious issue. Every year, thousands of people in the United Kingdom are killed or injured due to drivers who do not have the correct insurance or are uninsured altogether, these reasons being a catalyst to leave the scene.

Not only this but also these vehicles are more likely to be involved in collisions, as uninsured vehicles are continually utilized to conduct wider criminal activity. This is why the MIB works hard to crack down on uninsured drivers.

What should you do after being injured in a hit-and-run

If you have been involved in an accident with a driver who has fled the scene, you may be worried that you will not be able to make a claim. Our panel Solicitors can liaise with the Motor Insurers Bureau to approve your hit-and-run accidents, but there are certain things you will need to do.

Steps to take before claiming with the MIB:

  • Make sure you take the following steps:
  • Report the incident to the police: Make sure you do this as soon as possible. You need to report the incident within five days.
  • Make inquiries:  Make an effort to see if you can determine who the driver of the vehicle is.
  • Contact your own insurance company:  If your vehicle has been damaged, it is important to contact your insurer.
  • Get witness contact information:  Get the contact details of anyone who witnessed the accident.

Steps to take if an uninsured driver has caused an accident and you have been hurt

If you have been involved in an accident with a driver who is not insured, take the following steps to give yourself the greatest chance of securing the maximum compensation that is available to you:

  • Make inquiries to determine whether the motorist is insured or not.  You can use the MIB database to find out whether this is the case.
  • Gather details about the driver and the vehicle.  You should get the driver’s contact information, as well as make a note of the vehicle’s make, model, and registration plate.
  • Get the contact information of any witnesses.  Witness statements are extremely effective in boosting compensation claims.
  • Take photos if there is any damage to the scene, it is a good idea to take a few photographs using your smartphone.
  • Call your insurance company, if there has been any damage to your vehicle, it is important to call your insurance company to claim the repair.
  • Collect as much information as you can, regards to your financial losses.  Make a record of all financial losses you have encountered due to the accident, and keep proof of them too. This includes any legal costs during the claims process.

What should you do if the driver did not give you, their details?

If the driver of the other vehicle has refused to give you their details, you should lodge a formal complaint to the police. It is a criminal offense to refuse to give insurance details.

If you or a loved one have suffered an injury, in the last three years that you believe was someone else’s fault, contact our panel Solicitors on 0800 955 18 27, or complete our inquiry form.