MIB Uninsured and Untraced Driver-Related Claims - Driver in Traffic

MIB Uninsured and Untraced Driver-Related Claims

Uninsured and Untraced Driver Claims

It is bad enough being injured in a non-fault car accident where the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident, is insured. At least then you can be pretty sure that when you start a personal injury compensation claim, that as long as you have an experienced firm of road traffic accident injury Solicitors working on your side, you will always recover the compensation that you deserve.

Uninsured and Untraced Driver Compensation Claims

What happens if you have the same type of accident and the other driver turns out to be uninsured? 

What happens what if the other driver left the scene and is now untraceable, in other words, you are the victim of a hit and run?

Uninsured Drivers

A government organisation called the Motor Insurers Bureau (M.I.B.) is an organisation that awards compensation to individuals that have been involved in a road traffic accident with a driver that was not insured, or fled the scene. 

This is a serious issue. Every year, thousands of people in the United Kingdom are killed or injured due to drivers that do not have the correct insurance, or are uninsured altogether, these reasons being a catalyst to leave the scene.

Not only this, but also these vehicles are more likely to be involved in collisions, as uninsured vehicles are continually utilised to conduct wider criminal activity. This is why the MIB works hard to crack down on uninsured drivers.

What should you do after being injured in a hit-and-run

If you have been involved in an accident with a driver that has fled the scene, you may be worried that you will not be able to make a claim. Our panel Solicitors can liaise with the Motor Insurers Bureau to approve your hit and run accidents, but there are certain things you will need to do.

Steps to take before making a claim with the MIB:

  • Make sure you take the following steps:
  • Report the incident to the police: Make sure you do this as soon as possible. You need to report the incident within five days.
  • Make enquiries:  Make an effort to see if you can determine who the driver of the vehicle is.
  • Contact your own insurance company:  If your vehicle has been damaged, it is important to contact your insurer.
  • Get witness contact information:  Get the contact details of anyone that witnessed the accident.

Steps to take if an uninsured driver has caused an accident and you have been hurt

If you have been involved in an accident with a driver who is not insured, take the following steps to give yourself the greatest chance of securing the maximum compensation that is available to you:

  • Make enquiries to determine whether the motorist is insured or not.  You can use the MIB database to find out whether this is the case.
  • Gather details about the driver and the vehicle.  You should get the driver’s contact information, as well as making a note of the vehicle make, model, and registration plate.
  • Get the contact information of any witnesses.  Witness statements are extremely effective in boosting compensation claims.
  • Take photos if there is any damage to the scene, it is a good idea to take a few photographs using your smartphone.
  • Call your insurance company, if there has been any damage to your vehicle, it is important to call your insurance company to make a claim for the repair.
  • Collect as much information as you can regarding your financial losses.  Make a record of all financial losses you have encountered due to the accident, and keep proof of them too. This includes any legal costs during the claims process.

What should you do if the driver did not give you, their details?

If the driver of the other vehicle has refused to give you their details, you should lodge a formal complaint to the police. It is a criminal offence to refuse to give insurance details.

If you or a loved one have suffered an injury, in the last three years that you believe was someone else’s fault, contact our panel Solicitors on 0800 955 18 27, or complete our enquiry form.